Sunday, April 12, 2015

Make Google Image work for you!

A little marketing tip that goes a long way
Include the exact name of your company (and show) on all the promotional photos you send into the world!

I'm a marketing consultant for Prologue, but I'm also the author of the 480-page guide Toronto Fun Places and the two walking guides Toronto Urban Strolls 1 & 2, with blogs, Facebook pages and websites to support the sales.

A while ago, as I was looking at Blogger's analytics for my blog Toronto Fun Places (which I now publish directly on my website), I noticed more activity that usual around one of my posts. I normally get between 200 to 400 hits for a post. But there were over 2,000 hits for my Corktown Common post (see 3rd from the bottom).

When I searched for "Corktown Common" on Google, my post did not appear in the first page on Google. I wondered what I had done differently to generate more visibility. Then it occurred me to check on Google Image instead of Google Web...

... and I found out that one of my photos showed up in the 1st page on Google Image (2nd from the left on the last row). This post has since reached 2,500 hits and it is now ranked in the first page of Google Web as well.

What's different about that photo?
When you click on that photo in Google Image, you land on the page on my website hosting the photo and a link to my post.
Drag this photo on your desktop (as I did below) and you'll see the full name I gave to the image. It includes the words "Corktown Common". You don't see it when you simply look at the web page, but Google knows. And more importantly, it finds it when people are searching "Corktown Common".



Same thing happened with my post about Downsview Christmas Lights. It got 2,374 hits. When I looked on Google Image, I saw that three of my photos ranked in the first page. They all lead to the Downsview page on my website when you click on them.



It works for Prologue as well!
This current school year, I've had the chance to upload some photos on Prologue's website and name them properly. 

Take AKA Dance for instance. Go to their page on www.prologue.org and drag their photo onto your desktop. You'll see that its name includes AKA Dance.


If you look for "AKA Dance" on Google Image, you'll observe that they now rank in the first page. (By the way, before the next school year, we will proceed to re-upload all the photos with names that will give them a better ranking on Google.)

Bottom line...
Whether you send a photo by email, or you post it in a blog and on a website, make sure to give it a name that will help people find you on Google Image. (Unfortunately, this doesn't work for Facebook or Twitter where photos loose their name.)
-----
Post by Nathalie Prézeau
marketing@prologue.org

2 comments: